I had my nose to the grindstone before I left for the Boundary Waters and finished up three new artworks for A Sense of Place II and three for Fiber Art Alliance. I am contemplating making three more pieces similar to the A Sense of Place II artwork, but much bigger. And vertical again, if you can believe that. I still haven’t finished thinking about those cliffs.
Step 1 to start these new pieces is some serious dumpster diving. I haul out each of many storage containers filled with all the offcuts and little pieces leftover from making other artwork:
Here’s the setup. My purple chair (leftover paint courtesy of my front door), a container of “schnibbles” and a basket for any pieces that match the palette I have decided to use. Fair game is any scrap that is fairly saturated in color and green (including blue/green), orange, yellow, or brown.
Because my schnibble bucket sits right next to my sewing table, things sometimes fall in and are lost until I go dumpster diving. And sometimes I find stuff that mystifies even me.
In the last couple of days of my dumpster diving, I have found a pen, a ball of hand-dyed yarn, some black shiny fabric with bright red lips on it?????, a stitched and bound 35×28″ whole cloth quilt made of painted polyester fabric (again, ?????), discharged bias tape, tons of painted Lutradur (that’s where it was), two dyed silk scarves, sheets of burned felt, and lots of little pieces that I wasted time studying and setting aside as they were just so interesting.
I learned that even though I neither wear nor have anything in my house that is orange, I seemed to have painted and used a lot of it. I have gone through a purple and blue stage, a murky stage, and seem to be in a clear and bright stage. I used a lot more dyed, rather than painted, fabric when I first started out.
I have tried many kinds of substrates on which to build my artwork including cotton batting, polyester batting (what was I thinking?). Lutradur (what a waste), Stitch-N-Tear, felt, interfacing, and flannel. I tried many ways of building my artwork that were dead ends and many that I use to this day. I am certainly fearless: I have cut-offs so thick with fabric that they are truly useless as I have no idea how I stitched them together even with my trusty little Bernina.
I’m thinking even though I have several containers in which to dumpster dive that I am on the verge of a schnibble shortage. I have periodically gone through stages, such a now, when I want to work organically and only schnibbles will do the job. I guess that’s a good thing or I would be buried in schnibbles.
Dumpster diving is fun, but tedious. Here’s a close-up of my first basket of palette possibilities:
P.S. I’m missing a scissors. No doubt MIA until the next dumpster diving session.